Santa Eulària des Riu
Santa Eulària des Riu (Spanish: Santa Eulalia del Río) is a Spanish municipality of 31.314 inhabitants located in the autonomous community of the Balearics, located on the island of Ibiza.
The town is located next to a large bay with the promontory of Punta Arabì where stands the port of Port Esportiu with beaches, restaurants, shops and bars. At the western end of the bay is the Puig d’en Fita hill, which dominates the landscape.
The whole area is characterized by a balance between ancient and modern, surrounded by nature, where you can enjoy fantastic views.
At Santa Eulària des Rius, every traveler can enjoy a peace without equal, savoring every moment of their holiday, without forgetting the fun, assured by the various clubs, discos and bars that can prepare fantastic aperitifs and theme nights
Discover the town of Santa Eulària
At the center of the city on the Plaça d’Espanya stands the Ajuntament (Town Hall), which today is one of the city’s last historical buildings; The current building, which was renovated, dates back to 1795 and reflects the typical architecture of the period on the island.
Opposite the Ajuntament there is a small square with a fountain with a stone frame overlooking the busy main street of Carrer San Jaume.
Behind the fountain is a stone monument, erected by the city of Palma de Mallorca to thank and honor the local fishermen who on 17 January 1913 rescued a steamboat from Majorca, which had run aground on a cliff near the rocky inlet from Redona to Punta Arabì.
At the southern end of Passeig de s’Alamera is the port of Santa Eulalia, overlooking the bay.
The Church of Santa Eulària
In the west part of the city center is the hill called ‘Puig de Missa‘. The hill is only 52m high above sea level and its summit is dominated by the Iglésia de Puig de Missa.
The church is dedicated to Saint Eulalia and the path to the church runs like a spiral around the side of the hill before arriving in the garden behind the church. The church is thought to have been built in 1568, although previously there is a recording of a chapel dedicated to the saint in 1302. Despite the great natural advantage of building a church on the top of the hill, the small community of Santa Eulària, employed the military skills of the designer Giovanni Calvi to fortify the church we see today. It was he who built the circular bastions typical of the islands and many watchtowers around the ramparts of the church.
The church’s portico, added in the 18th century, is larger than most of those on the island and differs from most religious buildings. There are many pillars and round arches and for this it has been compared to the Moro architectural style. Probably the portico is the newest part of the church, in the western part there is a small chapel with a dome covered with stone. This chapel has been added to the original church, its interior is square and there is a lantern that overlooks the light coming from the windows.